Suggestions for Budget 2010

The Prime Minister cum Finance Minister 1 has invited the public to give suggestions to be considered in the coming 2010 budget to be tabled on 23 October 2009.

The suggestions can be input at

I have sent in 4 suggestions on 12 October 2009 and they appeared in the website here. As the pages changes as and when more people give their suf=ggestions, I copied it here as follows :-

gtchye: Increase Personal Reliefs for Income Tax

The personal relief for income tax was increased from RM5,000 to RM8,000 in 1999. There has been no increase for 10 years. With the increasing cost of living, the personal relief should be increased to a minimum of RM10,000. (Sec 46(1)(a) of the Income Tax Act 1967)

Spouse and children's reliefs should also be increased to reflect the increased cost of a sustaining a family. (Sec 47 & 48 of the Income Tax Act 1967)

Life insurance premiums and employees' EPF paid should be separated and each given a limit of RM6,000. Insurance policies are getting too expensive and to encourage savings, premiums paid should be entitled to its own relief instead of combining it with EPF. (Sec 49 of the Income Tax Act 1967)

Relief for medical expenses for parents has not been revised since it was increased from the year of assessment 1996. This should be expanded to include medical expenses for children. (Sec 46(1)(c) of the Income Tax Act 1967)

Let's see if any of these are taken up in the Budget.


  1. In regards of the Capital Allowance:
    a) can you kindly advise what is the definition of "motor vehicle licensed by the appropriate authority for commercial transportation of goods or passengers";
    b) whom are the "appropriate authority" (JPJ or Bandaran?);
    c) does it means there will be no maximum qualifying plant expenditure if the owner managed to obtain the mentioned permit from the "appropriate authority"?
    Thank you

  2. Dear Voon,

    The appropriate authority would mean the JPJ . The registration forms of the vehicles concerned would state if they are for private or commercial purposes and whether they are for carrying passangers or goods.

    It also depends on the nature of your business. If you are operating the business of providing bas kilang services, then you will be able to claim full CA. Similarly, if you are running a transportatioin business, then the lorries would be subjected to the same treatment.