The following is a list of tax deductions available for individuals to make a claim when filing his/her Income Tax Borang BE or B for 2008 onwards.
For employees, if you have any of these expenses, you can request your employers to reduce your PCB deductions by filing up the Borang TP1.
- Medical expenses for own parents certified by medical practitioner (limited to RM5,000 a year);
- Basic supporting equipment for disabled self, spouse, child or parents (limited to RM5,000 a year);
- Disabled person (self) (RM6,000 a year);
- Education fee (self) up to tertiary level for the purpose of acquiring law, accounting, Islamic financing, technical, vocational, industrial, scientific or technological skills or qualifications or for a Masters or Doctorate level, undertaken the purpose of acquiring any skill or qualification (limited to RM5,000 a year);
- Medical expenses on serious diseases for self, spouse or child (limited to RM5,000 a year);
- Complete medical examination for self, spouse or child Limited to RM500 a year (total deduction for para 4.5 and 4.6 is limited to RM5,000 a year);
- Purchase of books / journals / magazines / similar publications for self, spouse or child (limited to RM1,000 a year);
- Purchase of personal computer for individual. Deduction allowed once in every 3 years. (Limited to RM3,000);
- Net deposit in Skim Simpanan Pendidikan Nasional (limited to RM3,000 a year);
- Purchase of sports equipment for any sports activity as defined under the Sports Development Act 1997 (limited to RM300 a year). This is explained here;
- Payment of alimony to former wife (Total deduction for wife and alimony payments shall not exceed RM3,000 a year);
- Disabled husband / wife (RM3,500 a year);
- Life insurance (and EPF limited to RM6,000 a year);
- Education and medical insurance (limited to RM3,000 a year);
- Zakat other than monthly zakat deduction from salary;
- Fees / Levy paid by a holder of an employment pass, visit pass (temporary employment) or work pass.
Further, the IRB has released a list of tax-free income and perquisites available to individual taxpayers. This list is listed here.